This year Drake's school hosted a Mother and Son Night Out. It was a first for both Drake and me, and it was SO nice to have time with just my little buddy because being a twin means you aren't on your own very often.
As the kids get older, I see the alone time with each kid being much more valuable. Even as twins, they are polar opposites. Academically, Drake is much more like me. He's very rule oriented, loves learning and learns easily. Hattie, on the other hand, 100% has my sassy (and maybe bitchy) attitude...so I get her and she gets me.
The event started at 6:30, and since we had to pick up Hattie after her dance, I knew we had better get there when it started. Honestly, I was dreading some of the awkward "you're the only people here" moments but I was dead wrong. The line was out.the.door.
We had four options: Selfie Booth, Laser Tag, Bubble Ball, or Dinner. Drake chose Laser Tag first and since we had to wait in line I coerced him into taking pictures with me.
As Drake gets older, the
only pictures I get with him have silly faces...which drive me insane! I
just wanna see that sweet smile!
While we were in this line, Drake knew I was cold and had left my coat at home. He took off his coat and I asked if he wanted me to hold it for him (moms ALWAYS end up holding everything), but he replied, "No, mommy, I want you to put it on your arms since you are cold."
As if it wasn't already obvious...he has my heart until the end of time.
I admit, I'm not much of a game player (that's why we keep Brian around...shhh!) so I was a little nervous about playing laser tag. Why, as a 33 year old mother, would I be nervous to play laser tag with a bunch of little boys and their moms?!?! That was so completely stupid of me because those boys couldn't have cared less about us moms trying to hide behind blow up obstacles and trying to figure out what the hell this laser gun was telling us to do. But don't be mistaken, the competitor in me made SURE my accuracy percentage was higher than Drake's.
Thankfully, Drake opted for dinner next instead of Bubble Ball. There was ZERO chance I was getting into a blow up ball and let little boys knock me over.
Dinner was catered by a small Italian restaurant in the area. They had decorated the school cafeteria, dimmed the lights, and set flowers and candles on all of the tables. My heart melted when I realize that I'd been given this opportunity to sit down in such a cute atmosphere with my baby. We saw a few kids he knows and I met his gifted teacher. Sometimes it's really special to see things and people from your child's point of view.
He also made sure to get a second helping of desserts...for "us". Let's be real...he brought back breadsticks for me and cookies for himself. I love carbs and he loves cookies, what can I say?
Oh Drake, that smile melts me. You are the sweetest and most caring little boy. I'm proud of the person you are, I'm proud of the decisions you make, and I'm luckiest mom alive to have you as my baby.




No comments:
Post a Comment